Monday, February 12, 2007

Warm bowl of gumbo

This time of year I love to have gumbo. A few years back my parents gave me a cookbook that had a fantastic recipe for gumbo.

Gumbo

5 C sliced okra (I normally get the frozen bag.)
2 t vegetable oil (I use olive oil instead.)
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 t minced garlic
1 (10 oz) can of Rotel
2 t salt
1 t black pepper
1 1/2 t red pepper
3/4 t onion powder
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
4 C water
1 lb pureed shrimp
1/2 C chopped green onions

Cook the okra in the oil in a large saucepan until the okra starts to brown, stirring constantly. Add the onions, green pepper, and garlic; mix well. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the Rotel, salt, black and red peppers, onion powder, sausage, and 4 cups water; mix well. Cook, covered, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp and green onions. Cook for 10 minutes.

I serve this with rice. This is great on a cold day when you just want to say in.

No comments: