Saturday, October 14, 2006

A hand at the grill

Today has been wonderful. I got up early and ran errands, the important one, the grocery store. I now can cook! Tonight I decided I would give my hand at the grill. Now, this will be my first time ALONE to grill. Normally, I have someone here to help me. I know now, I need more practice at grilling--or always have someone here to help.



Tonight's recipe is Couscous Salad with Grilled Shrimp Scampi. This is one of the many ones from my Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine.

Couscous Salad with Grilled Shrimp Scampi

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 T plus 1/4 C EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 10 oz. box couscous
1 1/2 C chicken broth
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
1/4 C flat-leaf Parsley, chopped
1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped

1. In a medium bowl, toss half of the garlic with the 2 tablespoons of EVOO and the shrimp. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. (Not really sure how you preheat a grill.) Skewer the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and grill, until cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.

2. In a microwavable dish, stir the couscous with the chicken broth and season to taste with pepper. Microwave the couscous on high for 4 minutes; fluff with a fork.

3. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice and lemon zest, the remaining garlic and the parsley. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup EVOO and toss with the cucumber. Spoon the dressing over the couscous, adjust the seasoning and top with the grilled shrimp.

No comments: