Thursday, November 23, 2006

Comfort of Goulash

Happy Thanksgiving!

Since we are doing our family Thanksgiving on Saturday (good thing we decided to since my dad ended up getting called into work) we are taking it easy today. I actually woke up to my phone ringing around a quarter till 7--of course it was the wrong number.

I have spent most of my morning reading and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I am determine to enjoy my few days off work. For lunch today we are having a family favorite--goulash. My Granny Hale used to make growing up for us. It super easy to make and makes a lot.

Goulash (Meal-in-One)

2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 T. salt
4 C canned tomatoes (If you have home-canned tomatoes, these are the best)
2 C grated cheese (We normally just used cheddar)
6 T chopped onions
2 lbs ground beef, cooked
Dash of pepper
1-3 t. chili powder

Cook macaroni in large amount of boiling water until tender. Brown ground beef. Add onions and cook until onions are tender. Mix in chili powder and other seasonings. In a large baking dish, layer 1/2 macaroni, then 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 tomatoes, then sprinkle cheese on top. Repeat ending with cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.


I normally use more cheese and tomatoes in mine. This recipes brings back memories of eating at my grandparents on weekends.

No comments: