Friday, May 18, 2007

Something a little sweet

This weekend is Allie's lingerie shower. I am in charge of the food for the shower. Since this is for Allie I asked her what she wanted food wise. All she asked for was peti fors and chips and ranch dip. Now, here is the fun part, I have never made peti fors. When this first came up, I told my mom she was to come and help me (really make them for me). DeAnne offered to come instead. She is all into baking cakes and decorating them, so she said if mom would keep the kids, she would come. I have to say, I have a great sister who is willing to help out for something she won't be attending.

We spend Thursday night baking the cakes (and watching chick flicks since DeAnne doesn't get too much free time with two little ones running around) to we could freeze them. DeAnne had been doing lots of research on how to make peti fors and found that pound cake was the most recommended type to use. Mom has a fantastic 5-flavor pound cake she makes. We decided to use this recipe (will post it later) since it makes either a bunt pan or 2 loaf pans full. The batter went into jelly roll pans in order to be able to cut them into squares. Unfortunately we didn't think about rotating the pans from the top to bottom rakes, so the bottom one didn't brown on top, but burnt on the bottom. Thankfully I had purchased white cake mix for this. So we ended up having two different types of cake, classic white and 5-flavor pound cakes.

Friday was decorating day. After breakfast and my eye doctor appointment we headed back to the house for a FULL day of decorating the peti fors. Now, DeAnne is the one who is the more experienced decorator out of the two of us (remember my ginger bread house and how I swore I would never do anything like that again?). Before leaving for the morning, we cut the first cake which has the base coat of icing (butternut cream) into squares and freezing them. The reason behind freezing them is to add in "dipping" them in the glaze. This was the painful part of the process since it is so time consuming. For the flowers on each one, we cut out little fondant flowers. I had bruises on the palms of my hand from cutting them out. The fun part (or what DeAnne calls the fun part) was decorating them. She did a wonderful job on them. To be her first peti fors to make; you would never guess.

By the time we were done, we had peti fors everywhere. I knew I didn't need them, so I was going to make sure they were taken home with others. Take a gander at the finish product. I think she did a wonderful job!!!



1 comment:

Lisa Blair said...

These were so freaking good! Y'all did an excellent job. I wish I had one right now. I ate at least six at the shower.